INFORMATION FOR ATHLETES
The 6 km Curtis Pitt MP Race to the Base course commences at Norman Park, travelling along streets throughout the town of Gordonvale, to the base of the Pyramid. If the mountain climb isn’t your cup of tea, this race may best suit your style.
This event requires a good level of fitness. Temperatures may be as high as 30+ degrees on the day so please consider your hydration requirements. Please consider your own health in the lead up to the race. If you are unwell or have been unwell in the two weeks prior to the race, then consider the consequences of running on the day.
Date: Saturday 05 August 2023
Race Start Time: 13:45 pm
Check-in: 12:45 pm – 13:30 pm
Race Briefing: 13:35 pm at the Start Line
Time Limit: 1 hour from start time.
Start Line: Norman Park, Gordonvale
Turn around: Base of Walsh’s Pyramid – Carpark.
Finish Line: Norman Park, Gordonvale
Participants are to enter the age category as their age on the event date.
CATEGORIES, FEES AND PRIZES: here
Registrations close as per the date outlined.
NO ON DAY REGISTRATIONS
Collection of singlets:
Collection of runner’s singlets will be available at the official runner’s registration tent at Norman Park as per Check in time, as per program.
FAILURE to wear the runner’s singlet for the event will result in disqualification and you will not be permitted to participate.
As per time in the event program: Report to the runner’s registration tent and receive your runners bib number. This bib must be worn for the entire duration of the race. FAILURE to wear your runner’s bib will result in disqualification and you will not be permitted to participate.
As per event program
COURSE MAP AND OUTLINE
- Start behind the banner at Norman Park.
- Run out the marked chute onto the race track down Mill street.
- Follow markers along Mill road.
- Follow mill road DO NOT go down to Green Patch camp area (changed in 2021)
- Follow the road around until you see the traffic Marshall and turn left onto old Highway Bridge.
- Head down towards the train bridge tunnel onto the old Bruce Highway bridge.
- Follow markers along old Bruce Highway until the under Highway tunnel.
- Once through tunnel turn left onto the headlands.
- Run on the cane headland to Moss Road.
- Proceed along Moss Road to the Pyramid car park.
- Turn around at the designated turn point, and have your runners bib number marked off. (Call out your number)
- Return to Norman Park following the reverse route back.
- Finish under the Start/Finish line.
Stay on the track always. No short cuts as this results in disqualification.
- Please obey all marshals. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
- There is to be NO outside assistance. Anyone caught receiving outside assistance will be disqualified.
- Pacing by outside persons is prohibited. This includes a non-entrant joining the race, or a person shouting instructions from a bicycle.
- Personal music devices are NOT permitted to be used due to safety issues.
- Runners that do not complete the full course are NOT to pass through the finish line. Upon return please present yourself to SES to be marked off.
- Stay on the track always. NO short cuts as this results in disqualification
- Race Numbers will have to be marked off at checkpoints to gain a finish place in the race.
- Any protests must be lodged within 15 minutes of your return. The Committee will hear these and their decision will be final.
- Anyone caught running on the highway will be disqualified as this breach the conditions of our permit.
- You must read and accept the race terms and conditions.