The Half Pyramid Race is a new addition to our day of events, added a few years ago. This is a great race for if you are too young to enter in the main event or if you are not quite ready to compete in the full track. Still an arduous and very challenging event, it requires a very good level of fitness to compete.
INFORMATION FOR ATHLETES
Be advised that this is an arduous event and requires a good level of fitness. Temperatures may exceed 30 degrees on the race day so please consider your level of fitness and suitability to compete in this race. Consider your own health in the lead up to the race. If you are unwell or have been unwell in the 2 weeks prior to the race, then consider the consequences of running on the day.
A Hydration backpack is COMPULSORY. You must be self-sufficient with water. Water will be supplied only in emergency situations. You will be disqualified if sighted anywhere along the track without a hydration pack.
Date: Saturday 05 August 2023
Race Start Time: 10:30 am
Check-in: 9:30 am – 10:15 am
Race Briefing: 10:15 am in the Runners Tent
Time Limit: Athletes must have completed the event within 3 hours of the start time. Cut off time to be at the base of the Pyramid is 45 minutes from the start of the race.
Distance: Approx. 9km to the half-way rock on Walsh’s Pyramid
Start Line: Norman Park, Gordonvale
Turn around: Half-way rock on Walsh’s Pyramid
Finish Line: Norman Park, Gordonvale
Participants are to enter the age category as their age on the event date.
CATEGORIES, FEES AND PRIZES: here
Registrations close as per the date outlined.
NO ON DAY REGISTRATIONS
Collection of singlets:
Collection of runner’s singlets will be available at the official runner’s registration tent at Norman Park as per Check in time, as per program.
FAILURE to wear the runner’s singlet for the event will result in disqualification and you will not be permitted to participate.
As per time in the event program: Report to the runner’s registration tent and receive your runners bib number. This bib must be worn for the entire duration of the race. FAILURE to wear your runner’s bib will result in disqualification and you will not be permitted to participate.
As per event program
COURSE MAP AND OUTLINE
- Start behind the banner at Norman Park.
- Run out the marked chute onto the race track down Mill street.
- Follow markers along Mill road.
- Follow mill road DO NOT go down to Green Patch camp area (changed in 2021)
- Follow the road around until you see the traffic Marshall and turn left onto old Highway Bridge.
- Head down towards the train bridge tunnel onto the old Bruce Highway bridge.
- Follow markers along old Bruce Highway until the under Highway tunnel.
- Once through tunnel turn left onto the headlands.
- Run on the cane headland to Moss Road.
- Proceed along Moss Road to the Pyramid car park.
- Follow the track up the mountain, to the 1/2 way mark.
- At each SES check point (base & half way) –SHOUT YOUR NUMBER.
- Follow the reverse route back to the finish.
Stay on the track always. No short cuts as this results in disqualification.
Runners will be checked off by the SES at checkpoints at the base, halfway point, summit and finish line. Race Marshals will be present on the track to aid in staying on course and will be noting runners not wearing hydration backpacks.
- A hydration backpack is COMPULSORY. You must be self- sufficient with water. You start with it and finish with it. Water will be supplied only in emergency situations. You will be disqualified if sighted anywhere along the track without a hydration pack.
- Please obey all marshals. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
- There is to be NO outside assistance. Pacing by outside persons is prohibited. This includes a non-entrant joining the race, or a person shouting instructions from a bicycle. Anyone caught receiving outside assistance will be disqualified.
- Personal music devices are NOT permitted to be used due to safety issues.
- Runners MUST be at the base of the mountain check point within 45 mins from leaving the start line . If you are not, you will be asked to return to the Park. If you don’t complete the full coarse within 3 hours you will be marked as did not finish and your time will not be recorded.
- Runners who do not complete the full course should pass through the finish line and collect your participation medal. Please present yourself to volunteers at the finish line and identify as not completing the course so they can check you off with SES and inform time keepers.
- Downhill runners have RIGHT OF WAY
- Stay on the track always. No short cuts as this results in disqualification
- Race singlet MUST be worn always. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
- Runners will be checked off by the SES at checkpoints at the base, halfway point, and finish line. Marshals will be present on the track to aid in staying on coarse and will be noting runners not wearing hydration packs.
- Any protests must be lodged within 15 minutes of your return. The Committee will hear these and their decision will be final.
- Anyone caught running on the highway will be disqualified. This is not allowed under our permit.
- You must read and accept the race terms and conditions.